Got through a lot of stuff last week. Finished our last academic test over navigation, and flew 6 sims. I was scheduled to fly 8, but apparently simulators are just as fickle when it comes to the weather as real planes are...
Thursday we had a line of thunderstorms come through the area, and in true Air Force safety fashion, when there's lightning within 5 miles of the base, everything shuts down...to include the (indoor!) simulators. So just as I was stepping over to the sim building with my IP, we were greeted by this:
This was around 10 in the morning, when it's usually all sunshiny and stuff. I would just like to point out that it was dark enough for the streetlights to come on. But the storm came through just in time for my first sim of the day (out of two scheduled) to be canceled due to lightning. We tried to salvage the sim by reserving another simulator at 1130 so I could stay on schedule, but the lightning kept hanging around and it never worked out. Later in the day, when I was supposed to go do my second sim, the roof of the sim building apparently sprung a leak right over the simulator I was scheduled to be in. Needless to say, my second sim got canceled as well. It just wasn't my day...
The rest of the week went according to plan, thankfully, but now my scheduled has been bumped back by a day. Double turn tomorrow with my last cross country sim and a low-level sim, pre-check sim on Tuesday, and the check ride on Wednesday. Seems so close, yet so far.
To finish things up, our assignment night sounds like it's going to be on the 26th. After talking to the rest of the guys in my class, it's going to be interesting to see how the assignments come down. I'm going into it with the belief that if there's a middle-of-nowhere, New Mexico assignment on the chopping block, I'll be the one that gets it. Hope for the best, plan for the worst...I guess.
